– Big E is backstage with Sonya Deville, asking what his Royal Rumble number is. The Miz and John Morrison interrupt an they ask where Adam Pearce is. Deville indicates that Pearce pulled some strings and got the night off after what happened with Paul Heyman last week. Big E tells the RAW Superstars to keep their stench off his show. There’s a back & forth that includes a reference to the GameStop stocks situation. Deville walks off as she has other things to do. Big E ends up getting in Miz’s face and telling him he has no chance at winning the Rumble. Morrison attacks Big E. A brawl breaks out as Big E fights them off. The 2-on-1 fight continues until officials and others try to break it up. Back to commercial.
– The Street Profits are backstage walking with a fruit basket. They stop at Dolph Ziggler and Sonya Deville, who finish their chat as Ziggler walks off. The Profits have the fruit basket to congratulate Deville on her new office job next to Adam Pearce. The Profits point to how it’s been two weeks since they lost the SmackDown Tag Team Titles to Ziggler and Robert Roode, and they’re ready for the rematch. Deville says Montez Ford is still recovering from his injury, and tells them to keep doing their funny segments backstage, let some other teams get a chance, and then when they’re 100%, they’ll get put back in the game. They hesitate but agree, then hand the fruit basket to her. Deville walks off.
– We see Sonya Deville backstage talking to Adam Pearce. Deville wants to talk strategy for Pearce again but Paul Heyman walks in. He shakes hands with Deville. Heyman hands Pearce the contract for the Universal Title match at the Royal Rumble. Heyman says Pearce has the opportunity of a lifetime in his hands. He goes on with his sales pitch and reveals that the new contract will make Pearce vs. Roman Reigns a No DQ match. Heyman interrupts his own promo to tell Deville how good her perfume is working, creeping Deville and Pearce out. Pearce is annoyed by Heyman and his pitch. He ends up signing the contract and saying this will mean that he gets injured, which is what Heyman and Reigns want to see. He hands the contract back to Heyman after signing it. Back to commercial.
– Adam Pearce is on the phone with someone backstage and says he feels like he’s damned if he does, and damned if he don’t. Sonya Deville walks in. Pearce welcomes her and says he understands they will be working together. Deville says the last year has been crazy and she’s not proud of what she’s said or done, but it’s a new year and she wants to put the past behind her. She’s not bitter about Mandy Rose beating her in the SummerSlam match, going off to RAW and leaving her career in shambles. She goes on and says she’s grateful for the new opportunity and wants to help Pearce. They exchange a few more friendly words and Pearce welcomes her back.
– Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville are backstage talking strategy when Paul Heyman walks in. Deville dismisses herself. Pearce tells Heyman if this is about the Gauntlet, save it, please. Heyman says he likes Pearce and wants no hostility. Heyman goes on about knowing Pearce’s past and how things could’ve been if he managed “Scrap Daddy” Adam Pearce back then. Heyman says he knows Pearce’s accomplishments and why he was picked for this job, but also knows this wasn’t how Pearce saw his career going. Pearce wanted to be the champion. Heyman says Roman Reigns had him pull some strings and Pearce is now in tonight’s Gauntlet Match. Pearce doesn’t look thrilled. Heyman says Pearce now has the chance to pursue the dream he’s had since he was a baby, and it’s courtesy of his Universal Champion. Heyman says he’s so happy and proud for Pearce, personally and professionally. Heyman grabs Pearce’s hand and shakes it, and says it’s been a pleasure doing business with him. It’s interesting how WWE set this angle up all night as Deville also mentioned in her earlier segment how she wanted to help Pearce tonight, in his match, but he dismissed the idea and said he hasn’t wrestled in 6 or 7 years, and won’t be wrestling any matches any time soon. We go back to commercial.
Back from the break and Sonya Deville is backstage walking, her return since losing the Loser Leaves WWE match to Mandy Rose at SummerSlam. Other Superstars are surprised to see Deville walking. Graves confirms that she has been reinstated to SmackDown. We go back to the ring and The Street Profits are out for their New Year’s Day Smoke-Tacular. They dance around some and say goodbye to 2020, but say the year wasn’t all bad because they won gold.